Who Can Apply For Social Housing
Most people can apply for social housing, although there can be some exceptions.
e.g. those who have have been evicted because of anti-social behaviour and those who are subject to immigration control unless accepted by the Secretary of State.
If you are 16 or 17 years old please contact HomePoint directly on 01588 676246 to discuss your situation.
Once you are registered on the HomePoint system you will be placed in a banding according to your houshold need. These are: -
- You are homeless and the Housing Options Team is satisfied that they will accept a duty to rehouse you.
- Your Agricultural tied Tenancy is coming to an end and you are a qualifying agricultural worker.
- You have an immediate high medical need which has been verified by an independant medical assessor.
- You are an existing tenant of one of our partner organisations and you have an urgent need to move to alternate accommodation.
- You have been referred to Shropshire Council via the National Witness Protection Scheme.
- Your tied accommodation is coming to an end and you are deemed by the Housing Options Team that you are owed full duty to be rehoused.
- Your home has been assessed, by the Environmental Health Department, for Health and Safety risks and it has been found that you have at least one Category 1 hazard and a member of your household falls within one of the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.
- You have high medical need that is directly affected by your current home and would be immediately improved or or prevent further deterioation by moving.
- You are living in specialist or supported, with a level of support that does not meet you needs anymore.
- You need two or more bedrooms, due to overcrowding.
- You require accommodation with a greater level of support in order to meet your needs.
- You are a partner of one our partner landlords and wish to downsize by two bedrooms or more.
- You need to move because you are being harassed and you do not feel safe along with supporting documentation of harassment.
- You have split from your partner and have joint custody of children but do not have suitable accommodation to enable the chiildren to stay with you.
- If you are a member of the Armed Forces who is going to be discharged within 6 months, you must have local connection, such as a close family member or offer of employment within the county. If you are currently employed with the Armed Forces, within the county, this will constitute a local connection. Confirmation of discharge and/or employment will be required.
- The Housing Options Team has agreed that you are intentionally homeless, and there is no legal duty to rehouse you.
- Your home has been assessed, by the Environmental Health Department, for Health and Safety risks and it has been found that you have at least one Category 2 hazard and a member of your household falls within one of the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.
- You need one more bedroom due to overcrowding.
- You live in a home that you share a kitchen or bathroom with people who are not included in your application to be rehoused.
- You need to move to give/recieve support and care from/to family members.
- You find it difficult to get to or use vital services, like public transport, shops, doctors, hospitals or schools.
- Your family is living in seperate home and you want to live together.
- You work over 16hrs a week and you need to travel over an hour to get to and from work each day.
- You are a tenant of one of our partner landlords and wish to wish downsize by one bedroom.
- Your relationship has broken down but you are still living in the same property.
- you live in a flat that is above the ground floor and you have a child that is under 10 or you are pregnant.
- You have a medium medical need that is directly affected by your current home and would be immediately improved or or prevent further deterioation by moving.
- Applicant who are applying from prison will be placed in bronze until approximately 3 months before their release date. As long as liasing with a probation officer or release officer.
- All other applications.